Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thai Love


Thai Basil
Thai Cuisine
1215 Thurlow Street
Vancouver, BC V6E 1X4
Ph: (604) 685-6754

It's part of my job to organize staff lunches at work and ever since I started this task, I have steered away from ordering boring sandwich lunches and made it a point to get my coworkers excited with whatever menu I can find. Having a budget gave me some constraint but if you look hard, you can find restaurants which serves economic meals which leave a lasting impression, inexpensive yet deliciously sastifying.

Variety is also something which I highly recognize and we've taken a trip around the world with the kinds of food that we've had but I realized that Thai was still an unexplored cuisine at our office staff lunch. Considering this, I remembered a small, hole-in-a-wall Thai restaurant called Thai Basil only a few blocks from where I live and a few more blocks from where I work.

I did my on-line research and gave them a call. Budget and delivery used to be the two important things when choosing a restaurant or catering service but since some helpful coworkers were willing to pick up the grub, we started to have more choices. Ordering from Thai Basil was not an easy task since all their dishes sounded delectable so I opted for the more popular dishes. Pad thai, massaman curry with chicken (mild curry with tomatoes, cashew nuts, onion and potatoes), swimming rama with tofu (steamed broccoli topped with Thai peanut sauce) and eggplant and basil with beef (Japanese eggplant wok fried with peppers, onions in fresh garlic-chili sauce topped with basil) and rice were my picks and the very helpful server took her time to assist me and make sure that we will not just feed 30 plus people but also satisfy them.

On the day of the meeting we headed out to this tiny, hole-in-a-wall like restaurant and picked up our feast. Numerous tupperwares of steaming food were packed in 5 plastic bags and we laid them out on the table for to be consumed. As soon as my co-workers had a taste of what I have ordered, compliments on how good the food is were flying across the room. It was a success. Thai Basil definitely delivered the authentic, scrumptious Thai flavours on to our plates. That day, it made 30 plus people gastronomically happy.

0 comments: