Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sweets for My Sweet

Cupcakes by Heather and Lori
Dessert Shop
1168 Denman Street
Vancouver, BC
V6G 2M9 Canada
ph: (604) 974-1300

Having a sweet tooth is dangerous. I should know, I work extra hard to stop myself from finishing a whole package of mint milanos, hoping that extra cookie will not make me balloon up like a blimp - or make me develop diabetes. Desserts surely make life sweeter but not exactly healthier. It's just way too hard to resist all these calorie-laiden goodies that leave you in an almost orgasmic state. Having stumbled upon a very popular cupcake store on Denman St. simply called Cupcakes was bittersweet. I am happy to have found it and at the same time I regret knowing it.

You can spot this store from a mile. If not the cutsie baby pink sign, the sweet butter cream scent will surely lure you into this Cupcake store and once you're in, there's no turning back. Trays of cupcakes with a smorgasbord of flavours are laid out for you to salivate on in this cute retro-inspired store. Maybe it's curiousity or my gluttony that made me try almost all cupcake flavours but I did pick my favourites which I eventually got stuck with before finishing off the whole list of flavours. Sweet Sixteen, the very simple vanilla cake with vanilla butter cream icing is hands down, my all-time favourite. Having its pink icing and candy sprinkles look a little too sugary for me, a bit too candy but I have to say, the first bite of this cupcake didn't give me that too-sweet cringe. It was just the perfect sweetness that did not make me reach for my water bottle right after having one. Koo koo is another personal favourite. Coconut cake and cream cheese frosting, topped with shredded coconut, this just makes me coco loco. The other flavours are top notch as well but I can't seem to stop getting these two flavours time and time again. I have yet to try Red Velvet with its red cocoa cake and cream cheese frosting that made my fellow "connoisseur" friend (at least we'd like to think ourselves as that... yeah, right!) give it a two thumbs up.

Before discovering The Original Cupcakes, I would have those cheap-ass, crappy grocery-bought cupcakes that made me only eat the icing part because the rest of the cake tastes so blech, well, I don't have to overload on calories for something that is mediocre. Cupcakes on Denman (and on West Broadway and North Van --3 stores that serves Vancouver) will satisfy that cupcake craving and leaves you with just a tiny little bit of guilt you can sleep off the next day because cupcake this good, you know it's worth it.

* picture stolen from danandcarmen.blogspot.com

0 comments: