Sunday, August 17, 2008

Not A Very Hapa Experience



Hapa Izakaya
Japanese Cuisine / Izakaya
1479 Robson St,
Vancouver, BC
V6G 1C1 Canada
Tel: 604-689-4272


Hearing mixed reviews about restaurants gets me more intrigued to try it out. It makes it kind of a mission to pick a side. I first heard of Hapa Izakaya from my teacher in a bartending class. He was gushing about how good it was and naturally I made a mental note to myself to try it but my friend who is in love with Japanese food had nothing good to say about it and I was a bit turned off. I stalled on my Hapa Izakaya experience and made a full round in the downtown area -- which the restaurant is situated, trying out other Japanese Izakayas until my sister and her boyfriend took me there for some after dinner drinks. The sleek black interior was very modern Japanese which surprisingly exudes a cozy atmosphere maybe because of the no-windows design and warm lighting that hides you from the outside world. I liked the ambiance but their cold sake was the one that sold me. It was served in a bamboo pitcher with little bamboo sake cups. It definitely made it more special and having it on a warm summer night was surely a treat. Since we were there for drinks I wasn't able to give their food a try but suggested a Hapa Izakaya dinner to a friend


My friend picked Hapa Izakaya for her birthday dinner but we were a bit put down that there was a no-reservation policy. We had to look for back-up just in case. Thankfully, we were able to get a table and were approached by our very helpful sever. I ordered the cold sake right away for everyone as we carefully discussed our choices and like myself, my friends were awed at the cold sake's deadly but refreshing taste and of course its unique pitcher and cups. We chose Hapa's version of Bibimbap, Ebi Mayo, Crab roll, Tuna tataki, Chicken Kaarage and their Avocado salad. As we were waiting for the food, we noticed the scantly dressed servers which gave the restaurant a bit of a modern day geisha house impression. Our server though was an exception since she was not parading around to be seen and hoping to be gawked at by the male customers.

The Ebi Mayo was the first dish to arrive. The prawns were huge and the mayo dip gave it enough flavour that I was a bit disappointed when this dish disappeared in an instant. The Tuna tataki and the Crab roll came shortly. The Tuna tataki was good was good not exemptionally the best but good enough. The Crab roll was more interesting and gave a different approach to the regular roll. All our other dishes arrived shortly. Hapa's Bibimbap was a disappointment lacking in flavour but the Avocado salad was refreshing and the Kaarage was the same as the Tuna tataki, good but not the best. The Ebi Mayo was the winner dish and so we didn't hesitate to order it again, we needed more of those yummy deep fried succulent prawns.

Dinner is never complete without dessert and we eagerly asked our server for the dessert menu right after the last Ebi Mayo disappeared. Given the choices, we opted for the Matcha Cream puff and the Chocolate Cheesecake. Unfortuantely, both desserts were dry and unsatisfying. The matcha cream was just made it a little better than bad and we wished that we have ended our dinner somewhere else.

After our Hapa Izakaya experience, I thought that I would finally pick a side. Either gush about it or rant about it. I was actually wrong. I am indifferent about this restaurant. It's not good or bad, it's just strictly in the middle. Nothing great, not the worst, it was just alright. They didn't have any standout dishes since I also have tasted topnotch Ebi Mayo in other Izakayas. Their sake has saved them but the geisha house feel lost another point for me but would probaly gain an extra for the boys.

0 comments: