Friday, July 10, 2009

Holy Smoked Meat



Schwartz's
Deli/Sandwiches
3895 Saint-Laurent Boulevard
Montréal, Québec H2W 1X9 Canada
ph: (514) 842-4813

When I mentioned that I will be going to Montreal for a vacation, people would tell me excitedly: "Must go to Schwartz's and have their smoked meat, it's the best ever!" naturally, that was the first place that I wanted to attack when we landed in Montreal. Staying at a hostel near St. Laurent, we ventured out in search of this ever-famous Delicatessen.

After a few "Do you know where Schwartz's is?" and being told that we have a few more blocks to go was making us impatient and surely enough, when we got there, there was a nice little queue already formed outside the door. Thankfully, the nice sunny weather made the hour long queu more like a chance to soak in all that Montreal sun. I had no complaints getting a good dose of Vitamin D except that my tummy was already making those "feed me" noises which I never failed to satisfy.

Before impatience and hunger won the best of us, we were finally unshered in. The restaurant was fully packed, right from the bar to every seat in the big white room and to take out area which were also filled with people waiting to order. The restaurant is a simple Delicatessen where cafeteria-like tables and chairs occupy the space and the menu is written on a piece of paper, it is simple but it works. You don't really expect a Delicatessen to have fancy adornments since they were serving smoked meat and fries not foie gras and caviar.

We were led to a table big enough for a party of 6. My friend and I were then asked to share our table with 4 people who seemed to be out-of-towners and Schwart's first-timers like us. Ordering was easy for me since I wanted to get some food in my body so I immediately picked the smoked meat sandwich and a side of fries. The service was fast and efficient considering it's very busy state but after all that waiting, my friend didn't order anything since she didn't want to eat any beef, well, bad choice of restaurant for her, as for me, I couldn't wait for the much-talked about smoked meat.

When my sandwich arrived, it was so loaded that chunks of meat would fall off when I picked it up. I took one big bite and made my taste buds take over... it was good but way too hyped up for me. I'm not a smoked meat expert so I can't really tell if that was indeed the best of the best but it was good. I'm also a condiment fanatic and I thought that it needed a bit more mustard. The fries were typical fried potatoes and I thought maybe my meal would have been better if I ordered the more interesting sides such as coleslaw, olives, sour pickles and even peppers but I was already getting full with what I had.

Our "table mates" seemed to have over-ordered and were drowning in smoked meat. I didn't hear any Oh-my-god-this-is-so-good! statements so I guess the hype also killed it for them. All I can say is that if I lined up for an hour, I expect to swoon in deliciousness, unfortunately that didn't happen but I'm still happy that we did head down to Schwart's otherwise our Montreal gastronomic trip would never be complete.

0 comments: